What Now?

  • Aug 15, 2012




    The 2012 Reebok CrossFit Games have been over for a little over a month now.  Hard to believe...it feels like just yesterday we were climbing Microwave Mountain on Camp Pendelton!  What has this month entailed for me?  Pretty much taking on a bit more work, rehabing my neck and having as much fun as I possibly can.


    Right after The Games I was so lucky to be able to take a couple of weeks off from returning to real life and enjoy some family time.  I headed out from LA for a week of camping with my family.  My dad, aunt, brother and sister-in-law (aka: my best friend) spent a few nights in the Giant Sequoia National Park then worked our way up toward Mammoth Lakes area in the souther Seirras to spend some time out of the heat.  It was a low key trip filled with kicking my dad's butt at several games of cribbage, reading some mindless novels, catching up with some of my favorite people in this world and being where I love to be most...in the outdoors.

    Aunt Terry

    (My Aunt Terry "holding" up a Giant Sequoia.  This is only about half of the base...HUGE!)

    From camping we went the opposite route from nature and headed to Las Vegas for my brother and sister-law's baby shower/year-later wedding reception.  Vegas is one of my least favorite places in the world, BUT it was great because I got to be with most of my family and meet pretty much all of Kim's (my sister-in-law/best friend) family.  We were only there for a few days and I am not at all ashamed to say that I didn't leave the hotel we were staying at or put even a penny toward gambeling the entire time.  I did however hit the "fitness center" inside the hotel for a couple runs (on the treadmill...WAY too hot outside) and took my mom through a little barn-burner WOD.

     Kim n Luke

    (My brother Luke, my sister-in-law Kim, and myself in Vegas)

    I have to take time to elaborate on one of my days in the gym because I was about to pee my pants on the treadmill watching what was going down.  I was the only one in the gym, and was second guessing my choice to be on the treadmill because I was bored out of my mind but had to move and didn't want to do anything too taxing on my neck.  I had a baseball game on to distract me and it was working well until my attention was taken away from the TV and put toward a man that came in to "work out".  Let me start by saying, good for him for even being in there!!  BUT...he walked in and kind of wandered around the room for a minutes scoping out the equipment.  He did a few arm circles and torso twists before jumping in the lat pull down machine where he proceeded to load the weight stack at a weight he couldn't even pull down to his chin (let alone his chest).  After that he came over to the dumbbells right in front of my treadmill where he picked up the 45# dumbbells, stood with his feet touching (ideal athletic stance), checked out his muscles in the mirror and began what I think was an attempt at some bicep curls.  Never passing 90 degrees in his elbow he "curled" the weight about 15 more degrees, alternating arms and using as much of his back as he possible could.  He did about 10 reps on each arm, set the weight down and left.  I thought he was just maybe "warming up" and was going to come back, but after I ran 3 miles on the treadmill and mobilized for 20 minutes I never saw the guy again.  Moral of my story, NOT to make fun of this guy because like I said at least he was trying...but more to see how far I have come as a trainer in my 8 years.  I used to work at a globo gym and can't say that when I first started I would have corrected the guy or really thought much of it.  Anyways, I got a good chuckle out of it and hope you all did too.  Just remember how far we all have come with CrossFit!


    Now, back to my time off...after a hectic, but surprisingly fun few days in Vegas we headed "home".  I grew up in a small town called Rifle, CO (where my dad still lives) and my mom lives 7 miles away in a town called Silt.  Yes, those are the real names of the towns.  This was the highlight of my vacation and what I had been waiting for/needing for WAY too long.  Nothing too crazy happened, except for a I was surrounded by MY mountains, my family and in my comfort zone.  I took full advantage of the few days I had at home in the mountains to go for a bike ride, a couple of hikes, a couple of trail runs and just be in what I think is the closest place to heaven.  I was able to spend quality time with my family away from the hustle and bustle of The Games and Vegas.  My neice came to visit us from Denver for the week so I got some serious play time in with her.  My best friend since I was 4 years old and her family came over for a night.  I got to meet up with a whole bunch of family I didn't get to see in Vegas.  The only thing that could have been better would have been to have Marcus, Ziggy and Pogo (our dogs) with me.  It was a place for me to escape work, escape CrossFit and just be.


    (My neice, Kalei, rocking my Reebok bracelet and sunglasses at dinner one night)


    All good things come to an end though.  I had to say goodbye to my family and my Colorado mountains.  A bittersweet moment...I was returning to my boyfriend and dogs, but leaving my family and my home behind.  Someday I will get back to the mountains! 

    Mtn Hike 1(Me hiking with my mom behing our house in CO...she's taking the photo)


    Since returning back to Chico a few weeks ago, I have been full throttle at work, spending more time with my dogs and my boyfriend and working out when and how I want.  Such amazing support from my co-workers, clients, and friends in Chico for what I had to go through with my neck at The Games has been irreplacable and made the whole process way easier.  I was so busy with family the first two weeks after The Games that I didn't have a whole lot of time time refelct on what happened.  I have now, I've come to terms with it, and I know it happened for a reason.


    My weekly routine right now is working, playing with my dogs, spending as much time with Marcus as we can find and doing what I wantto do athletically.  I've hit a couple of classes at the gym.  I've gone for several runs and mountain bike rides...I've even thrown a few laps in the creek in there by choice!  We've been able to go camping.  I've judged a local competition.  Life is back to normal, or as normal as my life gets.  My neck is feeling better everyday.  It takes time.  It takes patience.  It takes discipline.  Those things will get me back to where my 2013 season will leave me at my best.  Until training starts back full throttle I am going to enjoy the heck out of every moment I have to do what I want, help people be better than they were yesterday and enjoy supporting Marcus in his season as he tears up the waterski world!  His first pro tourny of the year is tomorrow at Predator Bay in Calgary.  Send good vibes his way!

    • Gravatar of Stephanie


      Posted Thursday, August 16, 2012 at 3:03:59 PM

      Those mountains look amazing and you look happy! A winning combo right there :)

    • Gravatar of Leigh


      Posted Thursday, August 16, 2012 at 5:44:04 PM

      Glad to hear you're getting back into the swing of life in Chico! Let me know if you wanna WOD together or have a puppy playmate in upper park.